Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Grind your own meat

I'm sure most of you have heard about the pink slime controversy. If not, you can find more information here. I'm not a big fan of additives to my food, so fortunately I got lucky and scored this "antique" meat grinder from some friends. It was from a grandma, I believe, and it's fun to use. Craig originally wanted it to make his own sausage, which I'm sure he will try soon. I was able to use it yesterday to grind some of my own ground beef.


I picked up this nice London Broil on sale and cut it up into small cubes after I trimmed off the fat.


Then I put the small cubes in the meat grinder, turned it on and viola! Fresh ground beef! I did my customary packing job and called it a day.

I like the idea of being able to control how my meat is processed now. Tonight I'm going to grind some pork and make some Italian sausage. If it turns out good, you'll be hearing about it soon!

*If you don't have a meat grinder, the butcher at the grocery store can grind it for you. A lot of times, a cut of steak is cheaper than ground beef, so you can buy that instead and have them grind it. I like using London Broil because it's nice and lean and it saves the work of doing it yourself! I have seen a Kitchen-Aid attachment as well, so that is an option, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment