Monday, March 26, 2012

Swiss Chard

I never know what to do with swiss chard. I buy it every week and have tried several different ways to cook it. A few weeks ago, I found a recipe off the Food Network website from Rachael Ray that was really yummy (I think mostly because there's bacon in there). I feel good about eating my greens with lots of rice and bacon.

2 T extra-virgin olive oil
3-4 slices of bacon
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small bunch swiss chard, stemmed and chopped
nutmeg
salt and pepper
1/2 t paprika
1 c rice
1 3/4 c chicken stock

Heat oil in a saucepot over medium heat. Add the bacon, cook two minutes, then add the garlic and stir one minute. Add the chard and season with a little nutmeg, salt, pepper, and paprika. When the chard is wilted add the rice and stir one minute more. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer and cover the pot. Cook 15-18 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Fluff with a fork and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment