Friday, March 23, 2012

The Strawberries are FINALLY here!

I have been waiting all year for these babies! These strawberries are the best you will find anywhere. I have yet to see any with better flavor. I make weekly trips to a strawberry stand on Simpson Rd between Warren and Winchester Rd. Most of the time there is a line, because the strawberries get sold so fast they can't pick enough to keep up. You literally see them picking them out of the field and drive them over to the stand to keep up with the demand.
The above picture is a comparison shot of grocery store strawberries and these strawberries. Can you guess which one I bought at the stand?? If you guessed the top one, you are correct. These berries are large, juicy, and sweet, better than those hard "strawberries" in stores. Today I only got a ration of 3 baskets because they were almost sold out for the day. Those 3 baskets only cost $5 and they were overfilled. I also picked up a bag of snow peas for $1. If I can get there early enough, I'll buy a flat, which is 12 baskets, and make my grandma's recipe for strawberry jam. When that happens, I'll make some jam and post the recipe here. These strawberries make the best jam ever!

If you are considering paying this stand a visit, I recommend calling first. They are open sporadically, only when there are strawberries to sell.

Kuay's Strawberries Stand
34568 Simpson Rd
Winchester, CA 92596
(909)262-6057

*They also sell other vegetables later in the season, like red onions, among other things.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this info! I've heard about it in the past (a few years ago) and forgotten about it. I'm definitely going to try it out! :)
    -Kellee Packham

    ReplyDelete