Monday, March 19, 2012

Kale Pesto

Ever since I discovered the kale sold at what I know call "the farm," I've been trying to figure out ways to incorporate it into our diets. Since kale is supposed to be a super food with tons of nutrients, I figure the more I eat, the better off I am. I came across this recipe for kale pesto and was intrigued. I tried it a few nights ago and was pleasantly surprised at how good it tasted. It was not far off from regular pesto, just replacing basil and pine nuts with kale and walnuts. It makes about a cup, which goes a REALLY long way. I used about half of it with a pound of pasta and threw in some shrimp for good measure. Delicious! I found this recipe on marycrimmins.com and it's easy and quick to make.

1/2 c chopped walnuts
1 1/2 - 2 t salt
1 medium bunch of kale, stems removed and coarsely chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 c olive oil
1/2 freshly grated parmesan cheese
black pepper to taste

Toast chopped walnuts in a dry heavy cast iron skillet over high heat, stirring constantly until they start to brown and become fragrant. Or put on a baking sheet and toast at 325. Bring about 2 quarts of water to a boil, add 1 t of salt, then add kale. Cook uncovered, until tender, about 10 min. Remove from pot and drain. In a blender or food processor, add garlic walnuts and kale and blend until well combined. Slowly add oil and pulse until combined. Add 1/2 t salt and blend again. Salt more to taste. Stir in cheese and pepper.

The recipe called for old bay seasoning, which I didn't have, so I just left it out and it tasted fine. I also forgot to mix in the parmesan. I ended up grating it over my pasta and it was delicious that way. I suppose you could do it either way.

I froze the half that I didn't use and plan to use it in other recipes that call for pesto. I'm excited to try it out in other things!

No comments:

Post a Comment