Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Kale Chips



Since I'm learning to do all kinds of things with kale, I thought I'd share with you how I figured out how to make kale chips. They seemed easy enough. Cover in olive oil and bake, right? Wrong!! I took me a few tries to get the texture just right. The key is to tear the leaves into small pieces and to not put too much oil on them - that will make it a soggy mess! If you can get it just right, the results are amazing. It really is just like potato chips, the same crunchy, salty treat, but with all the added nutrition of kale. I found my recipe on glutenfreegirl.com. I mostly use the recipe except she uses fancy smoked paprika and I just use regular. Still tasty.

1/2 t salt
1/4 t paprika
1/4 t garlic powder
1 bunch of kale
1 T olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 and line baking sheet with foil. Combine salt, paprika, and garlic in a small bowl. Wash kale and tear into small pieces. Make sure they are dry before you oil them. To oil, drizzle olive oil over leaves and massage it into every nook and cranny. Arrange the chips on the baking sheet. Be careful not to put too many on there (one of my earlier mistakes) Bake until leaves are crisp. In my oven it took about 10 minutes. Any longer and the leaves started burning. As you can see in the picture, mine had just started turning brown. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with salt mixture.

I ended up eating almost the whole batch myself. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment