Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cauliflower Alfredo


Cauliflower and I have a complicated relationship. I want to like it so bad, but I just don't. I have tried several recipes with it and was not a fan of any of them, until I tried Cauliflower Alfredo sauce. I couldn't even taste the cauliflower! I first tried it when a friend of mine made it and I've been making it regularly since. (I'm not sure where she got the recipe, probably online) Every time cauliflower goes on sale, I'll pick some up and make this sauce, which I then use in dinner, or I will freeze it to use at a later time. It's a great way to lighten up your regular alfredo sauce, add some nutrition, and it's not difficult to make. I've used it in chicken fettuccine with broccoli and also with baked ziti. I've adapted the recipe a bit, mostly adding more garlic and cheese (I'm a cheese lover).Cauliflower Alfredo

1 head of Cauliflower
1 onion
4 cloves garlic
4 T butter
4 T flour
1 c half and half (I use skim milk-not quite as creamy, but still good.)
1 c chicken broth
1 c Parmesan or Romano cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Cut up cauliflower and boil in water with salt and pepper until soft with the lid on. Then cook with the lid off until the water is almost gone. While cauliflower cooks saute onion and garlic in some butter until soft. Put cauliflower in a blender and blend until creamy. Add the onions and garlic and blend well.

In a saucepan, melt the butter. Once butter is completely melted add flour and whisk. Stir in cauliflower mixture, half and half, and chicken broth as well as salt and pepper to taste. Once it is thick and bubbly add the cheese and some more salt to taste.

The trick with this recipe is to not skimp on the salt. I think that is what brings out the other flavors and masks the cauliflower taste.

1 comment:

  1. I love cauliflower and I love cauliflower alfredo! My recipe is a little different, but not much. Still super yummy.

    ReplyDelete