Friday, March 16, 2012

Green Cupcakes

I originally was going to post some awesome recipe today, but the two I was experimenting with did not go so well (I'm talking to you enchilada sauce and granola bars - you disappoint me). Fortunately, my sister Wendy came to the rescue. She referred me over to this blog that tells you how to make green cupcakes using spinach to color it green. I checked it out, and since I happened to have all of the ingredients on hand (I just picked up a bunch of spinach at the farm today) I went ahead and tried it. I really liked that this lady has a homemade version of boxed cakes that you can make ahead and use when you're ready to bake. My kids helped me make it and it was a fun way to celebrate St. Patricks Day.

I followed the recipe pretty closely, except I substituted 1 c of white wheat flour into the mix. I will say that blending the spinach and applesauce was a little difficult because of the lack of moisture in the blender, but I stuck it out and it eventually blended fine. I also decided to put spinach in the frosting. Why not go all the way? You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore. I used the butter-cream frosting recipe that she has a link to, and just blended a handful of spinach with the milk.

My kids thought they were pretty good. They both ate two. I have to say they weren't my favorite cupcakes, but I do like the idea of all that spinach in there. Don't get me wrong, they don't by any means taste bad, they're just different. It's definitely a great way to get some greens into your kids. You can find the recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment