Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Italian Sausage

I was so excited about how the Italian sausage turned out last night, that I decided to post about it today! It's really not that hard to make and I don't know why it never occurred to me to make it before. I started out with this pork butt roast. I like them because they're nice and cheap. I cut all the meat off the bone and ground it up in our meat grinder. It ended up being about three pounds of meat.


Then I added all of the spices and mixed it all together. I got the recipe from an old roommate of mine that has her own website called www.ourfoodstorage.com The Italian sausage recipe is about the 3rd post down. I tripled the recipe since I had three pounds of meat, and I used whole fennel seeds instead of ground. I have to say, I was nervous about the amount of red wine vinegar it called for. After I mixed it up, all I smelled was vinegar. Fortunately, the flavor when cooked is excellent.


I divided it up into one pound portions and froze two of the pounds in freezer bags. Then I cooked the rest and put it on a pizza for last night's dinner. It was pretty tasty.


I'm really glad this worked out, mostly because I did two extra pounds, but now I have some ready to go the next time I need some Italian sausage.

*It's not necessary to grind your own meat for this. You can use any ground meat that you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment