Friday, May 25, 2012

My "Harvest" for Today

I love Fridays, not only because it means the weekend is here, but also because it's they day I go out and get most of my produce. This is what I picked up today from the farm: 1 red onion, 2 white onions, 2 large bunches of carrots, swiss chard, red leaf lettuce, romaine, collard greens, kale, and beets. All for $15. Not too shabby. I also swung by the strawberry stand and picked up a half-flat of strawberries for $10. There is some good eating at our house, and even good eating for the chickens!

While I was at the farm, I saw a lady from the Valley Chronicle interviewing Ursula, the lady that runs the farm. I expect there will be an article coming out about it soon. Here's how they work their CSA: You pay the fee up front and for us it was $80. We get to pick what produce we want whenever we go in and they deduct the amount from what we've pre-paid. The great thing about signing up is that they will give you a 20% discount across the board on whatever you buy. Once your money has run out, you pay again, and so on. It's a nice system and you never get more than you can eat, because you choose what you get. Brilliant!

Happy Friday and enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment