Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Beet cake

I had some beets I needed to use up yesterday and didn't feel like eating them straight, so I decided to make some beet cake. It's great for the sweet tooth and actually has some nutritional value! Say what? Here's the recipe I used, adapted from one Craig got in one of his cooking classes in college.

1 1/2 c sugar
3 eggs
1/4 c canola oil
1/4 t vanilla
1 c cooked and grated beets
1/2 c water
1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1 3/4 c flour
1 1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt

Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 pan. Combine sugar, egg, oil, and vanilla. Beat well in a mixer. Add beets and cocoa powder and beat again. Add flour, baking soda, salt, and water. Mix well. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 35 minutes. Top with a little powdered sugar and enjoy!

I was excited to use this recipe because I got to use 3 eggs from my new chickens! They had been laid that day. Talk about fresh! Oh, and a little warning, it may taste a little earthy, due to the beets. More beets equal more beet flavor. The original recipe call for 1 1/2 c beets, but I had only enough beets for 1 cup, so it was more chocolatey then beety.

No comments:

Post a Comment