Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Eggs in a nest

 I found another delicious way to use swiss chard, or any other weird leafy green! I originally found this recipe in the book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, but I've adapted it a bit.  It's pretty simple to make and packs a ton of nutrition. Last night I wanted to use some of the greens I bought from the farm before they started to wilt, so I made this. My kids really liked the way it looked, because it literally looks like eggs in a nest when it's done cooking.
Here's how you make it:

Chop 1 medium onion and as much garlic as you like. I used 4 cloves, minced. Saute them in 1-2 Tablespoons of olive oil until the onions are tender and are starting to brown. Add chopped carrots and beets. I used 2 carrots and 4 small beets. Saute these for a few minutes. Coarsely chop one bunch of swiss chard, and to be adventurous, I chopped the beet greens too. Throw these in your pan and cover for a few minutes. The greens should wilt as they cook. When they are cooked to your liking, make 8 little holes, like a clock, in the greens. Crack an egg into each hole and cover. Let the eggs poach in the nest for a few minutes. I like to cook the eggs until they're not quite done, so the egg yolk is still a little runny. That way, when you mix it all together, it has that rich, velvety yolk spread around. If that's not your cup of tea, you can cook them all the way through. Serve on a bed of cooked brown rice. I made 3 cups of cooked rice to feed my family and it seemed to be just the right amount.

Like I said, I like to mix mine together with my rice, so it looks more like the first picture. It's filling and good for you. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. So you've read it now! What did you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked it. It makes me want to get some turkeys. I've even lent the book out to friends to read, I liked it so much. Thanks for introducing it to me!

      Delete
    2. I knew you would. I am going to do meat chickens this summer, and am considering doing turkeys as well. I'm not sure if I can get the turkeys going soon enough though. I love that book.

      Delete