Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Mozzarella

Last week I ordered some cheese-making supplies from cheesemaking.com which seems to be the authority on home cheese making. I got 2 kits and a recipe book for whatever cheese you can imagine. I saw a recipe for Muenster cheese in there and I think I will try it as soon as I get the bacterial culture and refrigeration equipment. I decided to make the 30 minute mozzarella. We were having pizza for dinner so I thought it would be a perfect time to try. It actually took a little longer then 30 minutes, but it was my first time and I'm sure I did some things wrong.

Unfortunately, I did not get any pictures. I was so focused on following the directions exactly that I didn't pull out my camera even once. I will be making it again soon, so there will definitely be pictures later.

As far as the finished product goes, I would say it was a moderate success. They say Mozzarella is one of the easiest cheeses to make and I would have to agree. It's quick to make by cheese standards, about an hour as opposed to 3 months. It's ready to eat as soon as you pull it and stretch it. The flavor was decent, but I don't think I put enough salt in it. Next time I'll add more. I'm excited to try new kinds of cheeses. I LOVE cheese so I think I will like this adventure best of all!

Oh, and once you're all set up to make the cheese it is SO much cheaper! You buy the gallon of milk for $3, which makes roughly a pound of cheese, and a pound of mozzarella goes for around $6 or $7! It's so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment