Monday, June 11, 2012

T-Rex vs Shark


Today is my son's 3rd birthday. For my kids birthdays, I like to make them whatever kind of cake they want. When I asked him what he wanted, he said he wanted a T-Rex and a shark cake. I had to think about this one long and hard, trying to figure out the logistics of that kind of cake. I knew I wanted a 3D T-Rex, because it's so much cooler. I turned to my friend who has a cake business for some tips and here you see the finished result! I'm pretty pleased. I thought the best way to incorporate the shark in is to have the T-Rex eating him.


 I made a chocolate sheet cake and covered it with cream cheese frosting, coloring half blue for the ocean. I used marshmallow fondant for the grass and leaves on the palm tree. The entire shark, teeth, and eyes are also marshmallow fondant and I added the detail by painting on the fondant with food coloring. I used some chocolate-covered sticks called "Pocky" that I found in the international aisle at the grocery store for the palm tree.


 The entire T-Rex is made out of rice crispy treats and molding chocolate. It was really fun to work with. I got to mold the rice crispy treats into the shape I wanted and covered it with the chocolate. I did the legs separate, and the body and head together.


 The chocolate is fun, because it has the consistency of clay. I shaped everything and attached the legs with some more chocolate and then carved in some scales with a toothpick.


This took a loooooooong time. Let's just say it took me a few day to create this cake.


 I made some teeth with the fondant and stuck that shark's tail right in there.


The hands,  I partially submerged in the water, because I though that would be easier and less work, which it was.


I finished it off with some more grass on the sides. I believe this is my most ambitious cake to date and it was 99% home-made! I made the cake, frosting, fondant, and molding chocolate from scratch. I only bought those chocolate sticks already made. I am pretty proud of myself and have to thank Brynn and google for all the help!

p.s. My son's birthday always takes me back to his birth, which was the most exciting one I've had. If you don't already know, you can read about it here. Be warned, it is a graphic story. :)

2 comments: