Friday, June 22, 2012

Update

Yesterday I experimented with a few things to see if they would work. For dinner I made pasties, but I had an eggplant I wanted to use up and hadn't planned on using it in any of my dinners. I thought I'd try chopping it up and cooking it with the filling for the pasties. I added it in and it didn't change the flavor much at all. My kids still gobbled them up not even knowing that they were eating eggplant. I thought that would be a great way to get some extra nutrition in the meal and also stretch the meat a little farther. Because the eggplant made more filling, it meant more pasties. That's especially important to me as I see meat prices going higher and higher.

The second thing I experimented with was making yogurt with whole milk instead of skim and using yogurt from the last batch I made. It turned out great. Not only was it nice and creamy, it was less tart and there was no whey accumulated at the top. I had some with breakfast this morning mixed with some strawberry jam and it was delicious. I'm pretty excited that both things I tried worked out well in the end. Now that summer is in full swing and I'll be getting a lot more fruits and veggies, I'll be trying to incorporate those more into my meals. Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment