Monday, July 2, 2012

FYI: Cinderella can't ride a motorcycle

 When I asked my daughter what kind of cake she wanted for her birthday, she said, "Cinderella riding a motorcycle." Say what?? I had just finished the T-Rex cake for my son and was not really interested in making another complicated cake. But how could I say no? That would be unfair to my daughter, after spending so much time on my son's cake.

She initially asked for a green cake too, but I told her I didn't know how to make a green cake, so we compromised with a red velvet cake and green frosting to simulate the grass. I was pleased with the road I had made out of fondant, but things just got worse after that.

I suppose I should explain the situation. Instead of a separate birthday parties for my son and daughter, they decided that they wanted a birthday overnight camping party instead with a few friends and their families. Her birthday was the day after we came back. While on said camping trip, we had a few run-ins with some bears during the night, which left me shaking and wide awake through the night. (I will post about this adventure a little later.) When we got home, I had to start working on this cake so it would be done in time for her birthday. I made the green frosting and the road and it looked fantastic. I was feeling pretty good at this point. But I was pretty groggy. I was working on about 15 minutes of sleep from the night before. I tried to form a motorcycle out of rice crispy treats, chocolate molding and fondant and the results were a disgrace to all things motorcycle. It appears that when I am tired, quality just goes right out the door. Next  I tried to form Cinderella, with the same results. I ended up trying to make Cinderella doing a superman  and her head became a yellow helmet because I could not form a face. When I tried to stack them together, it tipped over again and again until I totally lost it and started screaming in frustration, which made both my daughter and little baby start crying. I had to reassure my daughter that I was not mad at her, I was just frustrated with the cake. At that point, I decided it was not worth it and "Cinderella riding a motorcycle" became "Cinderella was not being safe on her motorcycle and crashed." Let this be a lesson to you kids: Safety first!
I should probably explain the sticks - I was hoping they would hold up Cinderella on her motorcycle (which they obviously did not) and then I would turn them into trees or something. It's a good thing the kids' birthdays are done for this year. I think I'll need a looooooooooong break before I attempt this kind of thing again.

2 comments:

  1. You are awesome Robyn!! I think it looks great! Molding and all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny!!! And brave, for trying this!

    ReplyDelete