Thursday, July 19, 2012

Hamburgers

Last week we got some nice ripe tomatoes from the farm. Craig made the suggestion that we make some hamburgers. So we did. This is the second time I've attempted to make my own hamburger buns. It's from a recipe Craig found online and they are supposed to be like the buns you get at Fuddruckers, which he says are the best. Each time I tried to make them, they ended up really flat. In the hamburger you see here, that is actually 2 buns. It worked out ok, but I think I'd prefer a bun I can slice.

I also made the patties myself. I used some ground chuck roast, mixed in 1 shredded zucchini, some chopped onion, and some minced garlic. The patties were pretty tasty. My biggest problem was that they were so wet, probably from the zucchini. They weren't staying together very well, so I added some egg and a small handful of oats. They were still pretty wet. In hindsight, I probably should have pressed the moisture out of the zucchini and it probably would have been better.

I topped my burger with some mayonnaise, one slice of beefsteak tomato, half an avocado, and a few leafs of romaine lettuce. It was quite delicious. I liked the idea of the zucchini in there. It added a little extra nutrition while acting as a filler and it also gives you another way to use up that zucchini. (You know if you grow them, you get way more than you need.)

How do you like your hamburgers?

No comments:

Post a Comment