Monday, July 30, 2012

Laundry Detergent


I finally got around to trying my own laundry detergent. I had bought all of the supplies a long time ago and was just waiting to use up what I had. I was pretty excited about it too. All I needed was what you see above: 4 lbs of Borax, 4 lbs of washing soda, 4 lbs of baking soda and 3 bars of soap. I used Kirk's because it has coconut oil in it and that sounded good to me. You grate the soap and mix all the ingredients well.


It filled up about half of one of my buckets. To use it, you just put 2 heaping tablespoons in the washer and watch it work its magic. I was quite impressed with the job it did. I had a pair of my son's shorts that had a stain on it. I had previously washed AND dried it and it didn't come out. Then I washed it with this stuff and when I pulled it out of the dryer the stain was gone! I am now sold on this concoction. I'm sure it's economical too. I haven't done the math, but I think this might be cheaper than commercial laundry detergent and it should last longer too, because it makes so much and you use so little with each load. I'm getting more Amish by the day!

2 comments:

  1. What size are the bars of soap? I am going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what size they are. Just the regular size soap you can buy at the store. I got these from Wal-mart and they were already packaged together with 3 bars. Good Luck!

      Delete