Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Garden Update

Well, here we are in the middle of April. Today it is hot. When I went to pick up my daughter from school the thermostat in the car said it was 90 degrees. I thought now would be a good time to check the status of my plants.

We have one lonely lemon left on our tree. But we do have blossoms for next year.

The cilantro and oregano have done well, although the basil did not make it. I probably should have kept it inside for longer. I'll probably get some more later and try again.

Our little pomegranate tree is still hanging in there. Craig's grandma gave it to us a few years ago. I believe she started it from a seed. Every winter, when it loses it's leaves, I'm sure it has died over the winter, but every spring those leaves keep coming back! It amazes me every time. Anyone know how long until it produces?

I was excited to see blossoms on our cherry tree. We got it last year and it never got any blossoms. I am not excited that the birds have already eaten some of the budding cherries. All I know, is that there were some little buds and now they are gone, stems and all.

We have one avocado tree that is flowering like crazy. I assume these are the flowers, right? If I am wrong please correct me. We've had this tree for two years now, so I'm hoping we'll get an avocado out of it sometime soon.

I like parsley because it is nice and hearty. No problems with this one and it's so nice to just go outside and pick some whenever I need it for cooking.

I check on this pea plant daily, almost willing it to grow faster. It's slowly getting bigger and my mouth waters imagining all the peas that will grow on it.

Jalapeno peppers. Still working on those leaves, eh? Is it too soon for blossoms from these guys?

I am amazed that our blueberry plant has blueberries on it. We originally bought two plants, but our dog ate one of them over the winter. She was a puppy, so I will allow her to live. We were told we needed two plants to produce fruit when we bought them, but apparently that is not the case.

I am assuming that this is my bell pepper plant and not a weed. Only time will tell. I am suspicious of it's position so close to the edge of the bucket. The water may have moved the seed when I watered it.

If we still live here next winter, we are going to have oranges up to our ears. Look at all those little baby oranges starting! This is only one tiny branch of the tree!

Our peach tree has about five small peaches that are almost ready to pick...I'm just keeping an eye on those birds...they're always trying to sneak some!

The tomato plants are flowering. I'm just waiting to see those little green tomato balls. Last year we had a purple beefsteak tomato plant that grew so big and flowered like crazy and never produced one single tomato!

And finally, my pride and joy, the apricot. I think I counted about 5 apricots this year, which is two more than last year! There is nothing like a freshly picked apricot. After you have one on the tree you can never get the ones from the store. Is it June yet??

How is your garden growing?

No comments:

Post a Comment