Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Wheat Grinding

If you want to start being Amish, the best thing to do is to get your own wheat grinder. This is the one I have. It's the Blendtec Kitchen Mill. Granted, it is electric, so it's not 100% Amish, but I'm not quite ready to be done with electricity. Craig and I got this for our wedding over 6 years ago, and I didn't use it much until about 6 months ago, when I started making my own bread (more on that later). If you make your own bread instead of buying it, you go through a TON of flour. I realized that it would be significantly cheaper if I started grinding my own wheat since I already had the grinder. Keep in mind that this grinder costs around $200, but it is an investment well worth the price. You can grind enough wheat for 2 batches of bread in about 5 minutes and when you make your bread with it, you know it will be 100% whole grain and it will have no additives or nasty chemicals in it.

Now, if you grind your own wheat, you will need to know where to get wheat. I bought mine from Honeyville Grains in Rancho Cucamonga. I buy the white wheat - it has a much milder flavor than red. You can buy a 50 lb bag for $20. 1 bag for us lasts about 3-6 months, depending on how often I'm making bread and other baked goods. I don't store it in the bags because little critters can get in there. I put it in heavy buckets with lids that close tight.



I inherited these from my mom and dad so I'm not sure where you can buy them. There is one bucket from emergency essentials in Utah. If you're up that way you can get them there.

Now you not only will you have grain stocked up in case of an emergency, you will also be regularly using it so it won't go bad. It's a win\win! Stay tuned for the bread recipe that I use. I got it from my mom so it must be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment