Saturday, February 18, 2012

Borscht

There's a local farm here in town that sells organic produce. I went there last week to check it out and scored these two monstrous beets.
The first thing I think of when I see beets is borscht. Borscht is a soup common in Russia. I have a brother and a brother-in-law who both lived there for an extended period of time serving missions for our church, so I was introduced to it and learned how to make it from them. It's actually pretty easy to make and tastes good if you can get past it's looks.


Here's how I made it:

2 T olive oil
1 onion , chopped
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
2 giant beets, peeled and chopped
5 potatoes, cubed
1/2 head cabbage, chopped
1 T vinegar
1 1/2 quarts turkey stock
6 oz can tomato paste
sour cream
salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion, carrots, and celery in olive oil until tender. Add beets and potatoes and continue to saute for about 5 minutes. Add cabbage and vinegar and saute for 5 more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add stock and boil until veggies are tender and a spoon stuck in the soup stands up. Top with a dallop of sour cream and serve.

I used home-made turkey stock because I had it left over from Thanksgiving. Chicken stock would be interchangeable or you could even use bouillon. I have to say that even my eleven month old son liked it. He ate two bowls all by himself!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! It's been a long time since I've had borscht.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Robyn! I'm glad it turned out good. you hit the jackpot with that local farm place. In Russian people sell stuff from their own gardens on the street so it is always the freshest produce.

    ReplyDelete