Friday, February 10, 2012

Welcome!

Welcome to my new blog! I started it to document my foray into homesteading. A friend of mine and I joke about how we're becoming Amish, so now you can watch and read about the madness that is the Amish lifestyle. I plan on posting recipes and ideas for home-making things and the attempts I make to live off the fat of the land.

I started making things from scratch initially to save money and to lead a healthier lifestyle. I had seen a tv show, probably Jamie Oliver's food revolution, or something similar, in which it posed a question to high-schoolers. It showed them an ear of corn and they were asked to say where it comes from. To my utter shock, a lot of them said cows! It became my mission to make sure my kids knew where their food came from. I wanted them to plant seeds and watch them grow and turn into food. I wanted them to know that all food comes from somewhere and it didn't come from boxes or packages.

Having a husband that is a dietitian has been helpful. I consult him occasionally when I need information, since he has access to all the dietetic journals. So I plan to have a grand time writing this blog and I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment