Monday, February 20, 2012

My unhealthy devotion to the weekly ad

This is my weekly bible. It tells me what I'm going to have for dinner during the week. Since I do not have a giant garden or any livestock that can provide food for me, I take a look at the weekly ad from our local grocery store. Based on what is on sale and if it is a price I'm willing to pay, I use whatever I buy to prepare meals. For example, this week eggplant was on sale, so I will be making eggplant lasagna. I also try not to pay more than $2/lb for meat. (I'm looking into buying a side of beef, so more on that later) I've gotten to the point in my shopping where the only thing I buy at the grocery store is diary, eggs, produce, and meat - no packaged products. Occasionally I'll get some staples like yeast or sugar. It's reduced my weekly grocery bill and keeps things healthy. I hope to eventually not need the produce or eggs, whenever it is that we get some land to make our own. How do you save money on grocery shopping?

2 comments:

  1. This is a great way to plan meals!! So what kinds of snacks do you give your kids? Are you totally not intot packaged stuff, or just certain things??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to avoid them, if possible. Fruits and veggies are great snacks! My kids love carrots and dip, blueberries and grapes. A slice of bread or toast is good too.

    ReplyDelete