Monday, August 20, 2012

Rock Fish

 Last Thursday, I had a chance to go deep sea fishing with some of Craig's family out of San Diego. I had been once before with my family and was excited to go again. I remember catching something every time I put a line in the water. This fishing trip was a little different, though. We only went for a half day, so we didn't get to go that far out into the ocean. We were still pretty close to the land, which was a bummer. We also found out when we got there, that they had no anchovies for bait, which I learned was very bad. We used squid and sardines. On top of all this, there were pelicans and sea lions all over the place, scaring away the fish. There were not a lot of catches happening. There was one guy that caught a shark in the first fifteen minutes we were out there, but he  had to throw it back because it was too small. At the end of the day I had 2 small fish in my bag, both Rock Fish, I believe. They seemed big at the time I caught them, but as you can see from this picture, they were not big at all.


I took those fish home, and filleted them myself. I wanted to get better at doing it. I realized that having a fillet knife would have been good, but my kitchen knives eventually did the trick. I was able to get some meat off of those tiny fish.





I figured the quickest way to cook it was to put a little salt and pepper on them and fry it up in some butter. I wanted something fast and easy, as I was still stinky and sweaty from the fishing trip.




Probably not the healthiest way to enjoy my fish, but it sure tasted good.




Craig and I gobbled this up pretty quickly. Maybe next time we go I'll catch a giant fish and can make more than these tiny fillets. Wishful thinking, I know.


No comments:

Post a Comment