Monday, August 27, 2012

Corn Tortillas


I finally attempted some corn tortillas. I bought some masa a few weeks ago, wanting to make them, and finally got around to making them this week. I found a recipe online from Rick Bayless. I liked it because it was so simple: masa harina and water. No wonder corn tortillas are so cheap!

My only complaint would be that they're a little thick and that's probably because of my tortilla press. It just doesn't get them as thin as I would like. I roll out my flour tortillas with a rolling pin and may have to try doing the same with these. Even so, they taste great. Last night I made tiny enchiladas with them. I was proud that there were homemade tortillas in there, even if they were a little thick and small. It's something that gets better the more you do it, right?

3 comments:

  1. Jon makes some soft corn tortillas, that are thin. You take corn meal and flour and a little salt, and add water until it's the consistency of pancake batter. 2:1 flour:corn meal. Spread out in a cast iron frying pan and flip once. They go pretty fast once the pan is hot. You can spread them around with a spatula to make them nice and thin. These are definitely some that get better with practice, we used them for tacos a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom told me about those. I'll have to try it some time. Do they hold up well in tacos? Most corn tortillas break really easy unless they're hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They can break easily. You can make them a little thicker and they'll still bend. I just really like the way they taste. :)

    ReplyDelete