Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Baby Chicks


 Our baby chicks came about 2 1/2 weeks ago and I'm dying for them to turn into big egg-laying chickens. This is what they looked like at 2 weeks. Isn't it amazing how fast they grow? I've got so many different breeds that I can't even keep track of them all! They are a bit high maintenance though. I have to change their newspaper lining daily and I'm constantly having to refill their food and water. They eat and drink A LOT. It will all be worth it in the end when we have eggs coming out of our eyeballs.


We ordered from Murry MacMurry hatchery and got the rainbow egg layers. This means that we have a variety of breeds that produce several different egg colors, including brown, white, green, and blue. I'm excited to have a basketful of colorful eggs. The little day old chicks came in that tiny little box.
For reference, you can see my daughter holding the box. It's small. I got a call at 5:45 am on a Friday from the post office letting me know that my chicks had arrived. I woke the kids up and we headed out in our jammies and got to go in the back entrance of the post office and pick them up. We heard a lot of peeping coming out of that little box.


 We came home and immediately unloaded them into their cage we had set up for them. They were so cute and fuzzy.

Look at those cute little guys. There were 26 sent to us but one didn't make it, so now we have 25. We also still have the 5 we brought over from our old house. The plan is to "harvest" them. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it. I'd like to do it at least once, just so I know how to do it and know how to cook them so they're palatable. These little chicks are growing so fast that I think the time to harvest will come quicker than I expect. Eeeeeeeeek!

2 comments: